The Kalimpong Municipality is the only Municipality of the district of Kalimpong. It was established in 1945. It has an area of 3.54 sq. mile/9.168 sq. km. It has 23 wards. The population is 49,403 as per 2011 Census.
The last general election to the Kalimpong Municipality was conducted in 2017. The density of population is more in North and North East. The population density decreases as one approaches the South & West.
General Facts at a glance-
- Altitude: : 4,100 Feet (1,250 Meters)
- Location- : 27.06 Degree North Latitude & 88.47Degree East Longitude
- Temperature : Summer Max 30o Celsius, Min: 15o Celsius. : Winter Max 16o Celsius, Min: 4o Celsius.
- Languages Spoken : Nepali, Lepcha, Tibetan, Hindi, English, Bengali
- Annual Rainfall : About 220 Centimeters
- Density : 5388 persons per Sq. Km.
- Clothing required : Tropical in summer and woolen in rest of the time
- Connectivity : Siliguri is 65km away; New Jalpaiguri (75km) near Siligur is nearest Major Station; Bagdogra Airport is 80km away;NH-10 connecting Sikkim-Siliguri is 14km away.
Places of Interest
- Kalimpong is called Land of flowers/Orchid Town: It has several flower nurseries, some of which are of international repute dealing in cacti, orchids and other indoor plants.
- Century Old Mcfarlane Memorial Church: Mission Compound in the heart of the town.
- Thongsa Monastry (Bhutanese); Established in circa 1692; Situated at the Shahid Dal Bahadur Giri Road. It is oldest monastery of Kalimpong
- Gouripur House- Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore stayed here during his visits to Kalimpong.
- Chitrabhanu- The family of Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore stayed here.• Tharpa Choling Monastery- The Yellow Hat sect of Lamas built it in 1937 at the Tirpai Hill of the Town
- Kalimpong Market- Famous for curio items & ethnic dresses of Tibetan and Himalayan cultures, Handmade paper, Tibetan Art, Dallay Khorsani, Kalimpong Cheese and Lollypops, etc. apart from various woolen and winter garments.
- 9 hole Army Golf Course is situated near Kalimpong Circuit House at the lap of the mountains.
- Mangal Dham- The temple is dedicated to the Lord Krishna. The architecture is simply marvelous.
- Zong Dhog Palri Fo-Brang Monastery at Durpin Dara. The majestic view of Himalays, rolling plains at far south and view of lush green valleys intersected by mountain rivers of Relli, Tista is added advantage of this place.
- Tamang Gumba Monastery near Kalimpong Collectorate
- Old Church Ground behind Kalimpong Hospital- The old Church has been destroyed in earthquake. The best view of R. Tista from the Kalimpong Town can be seen from here.
- Kalibari- A huge statue of Goddess Kali is the main attraction.