SAKHA SAINIK BOARD AT KALIMPONG
Keeping in view of the geographical conditions of Kalimpong Sub Division, Sakha Sainik Board (in short, SSB), Kalimpong was established during the year 1964 with the objective that serving soldiers, ex-servicemen, widows and dependents, who are living in far flung areas like Todey, Tangta, Jhullung, Kumai, Lava, Kafer, Mirik, Nimbong, Rishi, Rhenock(WB), Gitdabling, Gorubathan, Lingsay, Fagu, Pather Jhora, Suruk Samthar, etc. can avail the facilities without approaching the Zila Sainik Board, Darjeeling.
It started functioning with present office building at the Sainik Bhawan, beside the present day Kalimpong Collectorate. It also has a rest house with 3 rooms
1. It was started functioning with the following staff:
- LDC/UDC (Group C) - 01
- Welfare Organizer (Group C) - 01
- Peon (Group D) - 01
- Night Guard - 01 salary being made through special fund by Rajya Sainik Board (RSB) Kolkata(Salary being made through sainik Board (RSB) Kolkata)
2. Presently the following strength is employed with Sakha Sainik Board, Kalimpong:
- UDC -01
- Peon -01
- Night Guard -01
- Safaiwala - 01
Vacancy of Welfare Organizer exists since 01 Jan 2014 due to his retirement.
3. The Sakha Sainik Board, Kalimpong, is functioning under the command and control of Sub Divisional Officer(Officer-in-Charge), dealing all the welfare matters i,e, Pension, documentation, etc. often with aid of the Zila Sainik Board is required.
4. The population of ex-servicemen, serving soldiers and their dependents in Kalimpong District are as under:-
60 Officers & rest
(*PBOR - Personnel Below Officer Rank )
Note : - Wife, two children and both parents are generally considered as dependents.
1. Kalimpong being a separate district now, it has been proposed that a Zila Sainik Board at Kalimpong will be established. A four storied Sainik Bhawan at Kalimpong has also been proposed to be constructed along with establishment of Zila Sainik Board. The provision of accomodation there has also been considered.