Kalimpong area was first notified as Dalingkot Sub–Division under Deputy Commissioner of Western Duars. In 1886 it was transferred to the District of Darjeeling. Kalimpong Sub Division was created in 1916. Kalimpong subdivision has an area of 1,053.60 Sq. Km. (406.80 Sq Mile). According to the 2011 census, Kalimpong district (enumerated as Kalimpong subdivision then) has a population of 251,642. The density of population is 239 persons per Sq. Km.
It is situated in the outer Himalayas, mostly east of the Tista River, west of Ni-chu & Jaldhaka Rivers, south of Sikkim & Bhutan and north of Jalpaiguri District. It lies between 260 51’ and 270 12’N latitude and 88028’ and 880 53’E longitude.
The tract is mostly mountainous, the elevation varies greatly from 91 meters in the plains to 3000 meters near the tri-junction with Sikkim and Bhutan. Only a few square kilometers of areas which form a narrow belt on the southern portion of Chel, Neora and Jaldhaka are having flat terrain.
The new (21st) district of Kalimpong was created on 14th February, 2017 by separating the Sub Division of Kalimpong from the district of Darjeeling for administrative efficiency. The Kalimpong district has a single Sub-Division, the Kalimpong Sadar. The Sadar Sub-Division has three Police Stations- Kalimpong, Gorubathan and Jaldhaka.
The Sub-Divisional Officer, Kalimpong is the Sub-Divisional Magistrate, Kalimpong Sadar. The HQ is in the town of Kalimpong. Presently there are 56 Khasmahal Mouzas, 6 DIF Mouzas, 60 Forested Mouzas and one Cinchona Plantation Area in the Sadar Sub-Division. The Nepali is the lingua franca of the Kalimpong. Other languages viz. Hindi, Tibetan, Lepcha, English and Bengali are also spoken in various pockets.
- Commissioner, Jalpaiguri Division: 03561-230666 (Office), Fax-03561-230700, Email id- firstname.lastname@example.org
- District Magistrate, Kalimpong: 03552-255009(office), 03552-255264(Fax), O3552-255576,03552-255577(Res.), Email id- email@example.com
- Superintendent of Police, Kalimpong: 03552-255366,255359 (office), Email id- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sub-Divisional Officer, Kalimpong: 03552-255007, email@example.com
- Kalimpong Police Control Room- 03552-255273.
- Kalimpong Police Station- 03552-255268, Email id- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jaldhaka Police Station- 03552-265555, 03552-265225, Email id- email@example.com
- Gorubathan Police Station- 03552-222013, Email id- firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Court of the Sub-Divisional Magistrate deals in various sections as mentioned in the Code of Criminal Procedure (in short, Cr. P.C.).
- The Court of Executive Magistrate also exists. Presently two Executive Magistrates have been posted do deal with the matters as mentioned in the Cr.P.C. Generally they look after the matters originating out of Sec. 78, 79, 80, 81, 107, 108, 109, 110, 145, 147, etc. of the Cr.P.C.
- Currently all Executive Magistrates have also been specially empowered to deal with Sec. 133, 144, 174, 176, etc. of the Cr.P.C.
- They also administer oaths in accordance with the Sec. 3 of The Oaths Act, 1969.
- The Sub-Divisional Magistrate has all the powers of the Executive Magistrate as mentioned above. Moreover he has some special powers as mentioned in Sec. 94, 97, 98, 148, etc. of the Cr. P.C.
- All Executive Magistrates including the Sub-Divisional Magistrate are sub-ordinate to the District Magistrate who is the supreme Executive Magistrate in the district.